While koozies are just a simple and fun project one can do with wool to keep hands comfortable and beverages insulated, the basic techniques and stitches used are the basis of all knitting, from scarves to shawls, mittens to hats, socks to sweaters. And being able to use local, natural resources to make clothes and accessories helps build personal and community resilience.
Fur, feathers, thread, and steel. These are the basic components that make up an artificial fishing fly, but it is the art and handcraft of tying these flies that that can take a lifetime to master. The 9 students and 2 leaders at Cobscook Community Learning Center’s (CCLC) River Camp got to try their hands at fly-tying with MOS's resident fly-fishing fanatic, Joe Horn.
As the school year was winding down and spring was winding up in May 2018, a group of Jonesport Elementary School teachers worked with Maine Outdoor School Co-Founder/Co-CEO Hazel Stark to learn about how they could build resilience in their students through outdoor learning.
“Can we do science today?!” asked one especially inquisitive student as I stepped into the after school session at the Peninsula School in Prospect Harbor to gather up my group. Lucky for him, science was at the core of what we were doing that day and every other day during this after school series.
When two committed College of the Atlantic students get together to work towards a common effort, the results are typically outstanding. This project was no exception.
What is the coolest cloud you’ve ever seen? “I saw one that looked like a bird! I saw a huge one! I saw one that was pink!” The 3rd and 4th-graders at Harrington Elementary were getting ready to dive into the world of the Water Cycle in two recent programs with Maine Outdoor School in May 2017.
As the sun’s warmth finally started to make itself known after a cold and wet spring, the Pre-K and Kindergarten students at Harrington Elementary School had a chance to learn outside with Maine Outdoor School during two consecutive Friday programs in May 2017.
Rocks are often cognitively separated from the world of the living, but understanding the give and take between these seemingly separate aspects of the natural world was just what the 5th and 6th-graders at D.W. Merritt School explored during a Maine Outdoor School program in early May 2017.
As red maple tree flowers began to fall from their leafless branches on a cloudy day in early May 2017, all students at D.W. Merritt School in Addison, ME got to learn outside during a series of Maine Outdoor School programs. This article is the first of a three-part series on our programs at D.W. Merritt--check out our article on the 3rd and 4th-graders' water explorations here and the 5th and 6th-graders' rock explorations here!
While the weather this winter fluctuated erratically from torrential downpours and warm weather to record-breaking blizzards and hard freezes, the message in MOS’s presentations remained rock solid: precisely articulate your reason for being, align your mission to every aspect of your organization, and plan meticulously
In the overcast calm before a short snowstorm in early March, Milbridge Elementary 5th and 6th-graders joined Maine Outdoor School to consider: how can we all, nonhuman life included, meet our similar needs? To answer this question, they focused on the world of birds.
The recent cold snap in Downeast Maine didn’t stop a hardy group of 7th-graders from Narraguagus Jr/Sr High School from heading outdoors with Maine Outdoor School in early March! Despite strong winds and subfreezing temperatures, they bundled up and headed outside to consider: how do animals stay warm in winter?
In an effort to synthesize some of the latest research about outdoor education, MOS Co-Founder Hazel Stark recently published an article through the Matador Network to share the many benefits of outdoor education with a broader audience. Check out the article here to learn about why learning outdoors is so important, how it solves many of our current problems, and what exactly it is!
This evening the Electoral College cast their votes to finalize the 45th President of the United States. While roughly 46% of the citizens of our country are breathing a sigh of relief, the remaining 54% are somewhere between disappointed and horrified. Wherever you fall on this reactionary spectrum, here are three quick steps to keep moving forward with your own vision of a resilient future.